30 September 2008

An Old Warrior Passes On

This morning, Singaporeans woke up to the news of the passing of J. B. Jeyaretnam, the veteran political warrior who experienced an entire spectrum of political ups and downs of Singaporean oppositional politics.

While I may not agree with some of his views and actions, there is no doubt that he has impacted Singapore politics more than most other politicians. In fact, his shattering of the PAP's complete hegemony of the parliament in 1981 was considered, in the analysis of Singapore's political history, a critical event, a spike on the political radar just like Singapore's independence.

Many people, I believe, are looking forward to his return to Singapore politics, and see this warrior fight once more three years later. Indeed, I wonder how things would've been like. I'm uneasy with his confrontational style, but, just like in science, until someone finds a way that works, all ways to change the Singapore political scene are equally valid.

May he rest in peace, and his legacy lives on.

2 comments:

Kojakbt said...

The opposition has lost a determined fighter. My condolence and sympathy…. However, I’m sure JBJ in heaven would not want us to stop fighting the PAP. Let’s continue JBJ’s fight to stop the dominance of 1-party politics in Singapore. Let’s strive to bring true democracy to Singapore by encouraging Singaporeans to vote for pluralism in our politics. Feel free to join me to continue the fight at http://forums.delphiforums.com/3in1kopitiam/messages

Amaryllis said...

My sincere condolences to his family and other loved ones. I had only one ocassion to meet Mr. Jeyaratnam, and that was when I saw him selling his book along Orchard Rd. Most people were walking past him without a moment’s glance. And so I went and bought the book, and took the opportunity to shake his hand and thank him for all of his work in Singapore. It was telling that even my close friend who was with me choose to stand far away from us while I engaged with Mr. Jeyaratnam. It is sad when fear stops us from doing the right thing. I hope that all of Mr. Jeyaratnam’s struggles will be not in vain in the long run., that his actions serve as a reminder to our conscience.

http://worldlymuslimah.blogspot.com/2008/10/rest-in-peace-mr-jb-jeyaretnam-true.html